Liss Llewellyn Fine Art - Albert Kalkert: Model of a Gotha Go 145 biplane trainer

picture

 SOLD


 
Albert Kalkert:
Model of a Gotha Go 145 biplane trainer

Unmounted (ref: 2590)

Copper alloy, silvered, mounted on a marble base with a gilded pedestal,
13 1/2 x 13 1/2 in., base 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 in. (34.3 x 34.3 cm., base 14 x 14 cm.)



Literature: J.R. Smith, German Aircraft of the SecondWorldWar, Putman, NewYork, and Bodley Head, London, 1972, pp. 215–16.

Gotha aircraft gained notoriety during the FirstWorldWar as the first aeroplane to drop bombs (from autumn 1916 onwards), succeeding the cumbersome Zeppelin on air raids. After the war , as part of theTreaty ofVersailles, all surviving Gotha aircraft were destroyed.When the Gotha Company was re-established in October 1933, its first aircraft was the Go 145 biplane trainer, designed by Albert Kalkert. It is likely that this model was made to commemorate the event.The plane was made out of wood with a fabric covering, featured fixed landing gear and was powered by an Argus As 10C air-cooled engine fitted with a two-blade fixed-pitch propeller .The first prototype took to the air in February 1934, and was followed by a production model, the Gotha Go 145A, a dual-controlled trainer with flight controls in the rear seat.

In 1935 the Gotha Go 145 started service with Luftwaffe training units.The aircraft proved a successful design, and production of the Go 145 was taken up by other companies, including AGO, Focke-Wulf and BFW. Licensed versions were also manufactured in Spain andTurkey.The Spanish version, called the CASA 1145-L, remained in service until long after the Second WorldWar .


Share on instagram    Share on Twitter  Share on Google +  Share on Pinterest  Share by mail