Liss Llewellyn Fine Art - John Piper: The Englishman's Home, 1951

picture

picture


Enquire

 

See all works by John Piper

John Piper:
The Englishman's Home, 1951

Unframed (ref: 4392)

Oil on 42 panels, each panel 62 5/8 x 46 7/8 in. (159 x 119 cm.)

(187 3/4 x 609 in. (477 x 1547 cm.) overall)

Tags: architecture big pictures murals TOP 100 Murals catalogue



Provenance: Harlow Art Trust
Exhibited:  The Festival of Britain, 1951, The South Bank
A Tonic to the Nation, 1976, Victoria and Albert Museum



The Englishman's Home was painted in 1950 in the garden of the Artist's home, Fawley Bottom, Oxfordshire.

.


It was one of the key images of the Festival of Britain and is its  largest surviving work of art. When the incoming Conservative government attempted to cut back on the cost and scale of the Festival  Hugh Casson, the Festival's director, singled out  Piper's contribution as the one mural on the South Bank we cannot afford to lose.

John Piper and Osbert Lancaster were the main designers of the South Bank pleasure Gardens for the festival.  The Englishman's Home adorned the exterior wall of the Homes and Gardens Pavilion.

Sir Frederick Gibberd, masterplanner of Harlow, selected this mural to be gifted to Harlow at the end of the Festival of Britain. 

The mural was initially entrusted to the Harlow Development Corporation and then when the Harlow Art Trust was formed in 1953, the Trust took charge of all four works inherited from the Festival of Britain: Barbara Hepworth’s Contrapuntal Forms and three large murals; Boats by Alan Sorrell, 1851 by Leonard Manasseh and The Englishman’s Home by John Piper.  The decision to gift these four pieces to the Harlow Art Trust was approved by the Minister of Housing and Local Government (The Rt. Hon. Hugh Dalton).

On the completion of Harlow Technical College in the early 1960s, the mural was installed in the Assembly Hall at the College.  John Piper oversaw the installation of both this mural and a second mural commissioned for nearby St Paul’s Church.  The installation of The Englishman’s Home involved removing a small section to make way for the entrance to the hall. 
 

The mural remained at the College until 1992 when the building was firstly modified and later demolished and the College relocated to a new site.

Reading from left to right the first yellow building remains unidentified, followed by the Brighton Bow fronts of Regency Square, a Victorian villa (St Martin’s Avenue, Epsom, Surrey where Piper’s Mother’s lived), 6 Station Road, (Yeovil) with Kirby Hall behind and the Royal Arms over the gateway of East Barsham Manor in Norfolk to the right, followed by the dome of Castle Howard, Yorkshire, adapted slightly for compositional effect, (also incorporating aspects of the Sheldonian Theatre in Oxford), with Owlpen Manor in Gloustershire to the right. Hillside Terraces, Brighton are depicted top right. The building to the far right remains unidentified.


Share on instagram    Share on Twitter  Share on Google +  Share on Pinterest  Share by mail