Liss Llewellyn Fine Art - 20th Century British Art

Frank Brangwyn (1867-1956)   BIOGRAPHY

Enquire
 £3,250 / €3,727 / US$4,165  Add to cart
 
Study for Birmingham University War Memorial, c. 1921
Framed (ref: 5304)

Inscribed 'Birmingham War Memorial in red, illegible inscription above
Gouache on brown paper, 13 1/2 x 22 1/4 in. (34.5 x 57 cm.)


 


Provenance: Waldron West until 1994; thence by descent.

In a French pitch pine flat section frame with ebony stringing


Brangwyn's assistant Frank Alford noted in his diary in July 1921 that Sir Aston Webb discussed with Brangwyn a mosaic memorial to ex-soldiers, consisting of three panels. The project never came to fruition and this is the only known study for it.

Waldron West, a portrait painter who was born, trained and worked in  Worcestershire, was profoundly influenced by Brangwyn .  West befriended Brangwyn in the  late 1930's and as part of his friendship acquired, over the next two decades, a number of works from his mentor.

We are grateful to Dr. Horner for assistance.  This drawing will appear as reference M4898 in her forthcoming catalogue raisonne.



Frank Brangwyn (1867-1956)


Frank Brangwyn was born in Bruges, Belgium, the son of an English father and Welsh mother. The family returned to London in 1874, Brangwyn's father gaining work as a designer of buildings, embroideries and furniture. Although Brangwyn appears to have had little formal education, whether academic or artistic, his earliest mentors were three of the most influential men in design at the turn of the century: Arthur Heygate Mackmurdo, William Morris and Siegfried Bing. Between 1884 and 1887 Brangwyn travelled to Kent, Cornwall and Devon, before venturing further with trips to Turkey in 1888, South Africa in 1891, Spain in 1892 and Morocco in 1893. Brangwyn was an independent artist, an experimenter and innovator, capable of working on both large and small scale projects, ranging from murals, oil paintings, watercolours, etchings, woodcuts and lithographs to designs for architecture, interiors, stained glass, furniture, carpets, ceramics and jewellery, as well as book illustrations, bookplates and commercial posters. It is estimated that he produced over 12,000 works during his lifetime. Mural commissions included the Worshipful Company of Skinners, London (1902-09), St Aidan's church, Leeds (1908-16), Manitoba Legislative Building, Winnipeg, Canada (1918-21), Christ's Hospital, Horsham (1912-23), State Capitol, Jefferson City, USA (1915-25), the British Empire panels, Swansea (1925-32), and Rockefeller Center, New York (1930-34). Brangwyn married Lucy Ray in 1896 and took on the lease of Temple Lodge, Hammersmith, in 1900. In 1918 the artist purchased The Jointure, Ditchling, where he spent most of his time following his wife's death in 1924. Elected RA in 1919, knighted in 1924, holder of countless artistic awards, Brangwyn was modest about his singular achievements, regarding art as an occupation and describing himself as a designer.

See all works by Frank Brangwyn