Liss Llewellyn Fine Art - 20th Century British Art

Frank Brangwyn (1867-1956)   BIOGRAPHY

Enquire
 £2,300 / €2,658 / US$2,988  Add to cart
 
The Galleon, c. 1923
(ref: 8360)
Titled on label to reverse
Inlaid marquetry Panel, designed by Brangwyn, made by the Rowley Gallery
 28 X 30 in. (71.1 x 76.2 cm)
(39" high by 40 3/4" wide?)

 


Provenance: The Fortunoff collection


Literature; International Studio, February 1923, p.127.


The Rowley Gallery was established in 1898 at 6 High Road, Silver Street, Kensington  In 1909 Silver Street was renamed, and although remaining in the same premises, the new address became 140 Church Street. Founded by Albert James Rowley and his wife Emma, as a small business specialising in picture framing, mounting, restoration, carving, gilding and exhibitions of paintings the Gallery also produced inlaid wood panels and furniture. Designs for panels were at first adapted from paintings by artists such as Millais, Whistler and Lord Leighton, but then A J Rowley began to commission artists to make designs specifically for wood panels. Brangwyn contributed numerous designs.  Production numbers were fairly small.  An example of The Galleon is in  Cecil Higgins Art Gallery.

Rowley provided 12 silver leafed gesso panels for Brangwyn to paint, for the Canadian Pacific liner The Empress of Britain in 1938. 



Frank Brangwyn (1867-1956)


Frank Brangwyn was born in Bruges, Belgium, the son of an English father and Welsh mother. The family returned to London in 1874, Brangwyn's father gaining work as a designer of buildings, embroideries and furniture. Although Brangwyn appears to have had little formal education, whether academic or artistic, his earliest mentors were three of the most influential men in design at the turn of the century: Arthur Heygate Mackmurdo, William Morris and Siegfried Bing. Between 1884 and 1887 Brangwyn travelled to Kent, Cornwall and Devon, before venturing further with trips to Turkey in 1888, South Africa in 1891, Spain in 1892 and Morocco in 1893. Brangwyn was an independent artist, an experimenter and innovator, capable of working on both large and small scale projects, ranging from murals, oil paintings, watercolours, etchings, woodcuts and lithographs to designs for architecture, interiors, stained glass, furniture, carpets, ceramics and jewellery, as well as book illustrations, bookplates and commercial posters. It is estimated that he produced over 12,000 works during his lifetime. Mural commissions included the Worshipful Company of Skinners, London (1902-09), St Aidan's church, Leeds (1908-16), Manitoba Legislative Building, Winnipeg, Canada (1918-21), Christ's Hospital, Horsham (1912-23), State Capitol, Jefferson City, USA (1915-25), the British Empire panels, Swansea (1925-32), and Rockefeller Center, New York (1930-34). Brangwyn married Lucy Ray in 1896 and took on the lease of Temple Lodge, Hammersmith, in 1900. In 1918 the artist purchased The Jointure, Ditchling, where he spent most of his time following his wife's death in 1924. Elected RA in 1919, knighted in 1924, holder of countless artistic awards, Brangwyn was modest about his singular achievements, regarding art as an occupation and describing himself as a designer.

See all works by Frank Brangwyn