Kneeling workman - study for Campion Hall, circa 1940
Mounted (ref: 8632)
Black chalk with white highlights on light grey paper
19 x 12 3/4 in.
Tags: Charles Mahoney men murals work
Mahoney was commissioned to produce a mural scheme for the Lady Chapel at Campion Hall in 1941. The scheme was to be made up primarily of three large panels: the Nativity and Adoration of the Shepherds, the Coronation of the Virgin and Our Lady of Mercy. In detail and composition the paintings owe much to the early Quattrocento. The project continued into the following decade and coincided with a serious decline in the artist’s physical health. In spite of these problems, Sir John Rothenstein was moved to describe the scheme as as ‘second . . . only to that by Stanley Spencer at Burghclere’.