Lutyens conversing with a gardener, compositional study for Campion Hall, circa 1941
Unmounted (ref: 8733)
Charcoal and pastel on brown paper
8 1/2 x 9 in. (21.6 x 22.8 cm)
Provenance: Private collection
Campion Hall was built by Sir Edwin Lutyens, the greatest British architect of the age. The contact between Fr Martin D'Arcy, the newly appointed Master (1933), and Lutyens came about through a friendship with Lady Horner. Work began in 1935 and was completed in 1936. Lutyens died in 1942.
Mahoney was commissioned to produce a mural scheme for the Lady Chapel at Campion Hall in 1941. Sir John Rothenstein was moved to describe the scheme as second ... only to that by Stanley Spencer at Burghclere.